Wednesday 14 November 2007

It actually goes!

There is a business term called the "J" curve. This is a general term that predicts something will get worse before it gets better. I was quite prepared for this to happen with this project as there were just too many signs of rust problems.

For instance, the carpet was rust stained, the sills had rust holes, and if it sat still for more than a few minutes - small piles of rust scale would appear at various spots under the car! As is obvious in these shots.........














While none of this was "encouraging", at least I knew that as I was putting in a full chassis - I would have to cut out (or at least into) most of the floor and sills anyway. It was at this point that I decided that I needed to build myself a rotisserie. But first I wanted to check the car over completely - and if possible get it going.

I did the usual reconnection of hoses, checked fluid levels and found myself a spare battery. I noticed the two rear welsh plugs had been knocked out (probably by quarantine) so i'd have to get some spares later. However it wouldn't stop me kicking the engine over. First thing though was to disconnect the fuel line between the carby and fuel pump so I could run some fuel to both - to soften the various seals and diaphrams.

Next I found I could turn the engine over by hand (good sign) and I adjusted the points while doing this too. There was plenty of oil in the sump and the oil looked good. So far so good but as I didn't have any keys I would have to hotwire it as well.

This I did by simply running a direct 12V wire from the + battery terminal to the + side of the coil (knowing the points & coil would hate this long term).

But when I hooked up the battery terminals to the leads - a dead short would result (bummer).

I got under the car to tap on the strater in case there was a short and it was here that I noticed the black battery lead running to the starter. It seems the red lead in the USA is the earth and the black lead is the +!!!! On reversing the leads to the battery - no problems (much better).

Notice the black battery lead on the fender apron leading to the solenoid and then onto the starter. This would be the red lead in Australia - so a trap for first-timers like me!

Seeing these early Fords have the starter solenoid mounted in the engine bay, my ignition key became the trusty screw-driver that I would "short" between the battery lead and starter wire on the solenoid housing. As I still had no rocker covers, I could turn the engine over and after a while saw the pleasant sight of oil eventually dripping from the rockers (so the oiling system was primed & working).

Lastly I connected a funnel to the fuel line leading into the carby and saw that once filled with fuel, the carby accelerator pump worked ok. Funnels (hanging by wire from bonnet frames) make good petrol tanks.

Now it was time to fire it up - so I connected the coil and gave it a go...... but nothing. I left a plug-lead off to check for spark and found none (yep, that would do it). So I checked the points again, saw a spark there thankfully, fiddled with a few wires to ensure they had good contact and tried again. Vrrrroommm! She fired right up but the engine appeared to have a knock.

Still, 2 hours to get an engine going after 17 years being dormant isn't bad. One amusing thing was that it shot a squirrel nest out of one exhaust (no squirrel though)! Don't worry too much about exotic pests entering the country - I carefully swept it all up & burnt the lot in the wood-fired bbq that night. Then I had some good fortune........

I had visitors over for dinner later that day and they were busting to see the car. I told them of the engine knock but they said "...... we've never heard a Mustang go before - just fire it up please". I thought as the engine isn't going to stay - why not. So I started it and in an instant was told to stop as the fan was hitting a hose clamp.

It seems one blade on the fan was longer than the rest (I still ask why?) and hit the tightening screw on a hose clamp. I loosened the clamp, slid it round 90degrees, restarted the engine, then - purrrrrrrr! It idled and ran beautifully. So thankyou Phil, Mark & Lavina, extra eyes are always useful.

Seeing the engine was ok - it was time to get this Fastback moving.

No comments: