Monday 6 July 2009

Installing the RRS steering rack

I thought this would be worth a small post while I wait for the under-dash pedal box.....
Here is the RRS rack I just received & unpacked. It comes complete with the universal-joints, telescopic steering shaft, bearings and all the goodies to modify the steering column as well.


And here it is an hour or so later after it bolted right in with no dramas at all.



As per the instructions, all I needed to do was drill 4 holes (2 each side) in the lip of the chassis rail and in it all went.

One thing I have noticed is that the rack bolts in right where the chassis lip is recessed (cut back) to give clearance for the inner rear edge of the tyre at full steering lock. We will see if there is any interference later I guess when I put on my chosen rim/tyre combo. At least the steering bump-stops are adjustable on the rack so I can ensure I can stop the tyre hitting if there is a problem. But of course I'd rather get as much steering lock as possible so hopefully this wont be an issue.

The rack & struts are just dummied in place so I can get the shell rolling to do the firewall. I need it rolling so I can put the motor in - and I can't do that on the rotisserie!

No comments: